Nigeria’s Eagles Fly Over Ethiopia To Brazil 2014

Nigeria’s Super Eagles became the first African side to reach the 2014 FIFA World Cup after defeating Ethiopia 2-0 in Calabar, to confirm a 4-1 aggregate play-off win in their final leg qualifier on Saturday.
Victor Moses coolly slotted home a first half penalty before substitute Victor Obinna slammed home a late free-kick to see Nigeria through to their fifth World Cup finals in six attempts.
Efe Ambrose had the first Nigerian shot in the opening minutes after Brown Ideye had broken into the Ethiopian penalty area, but the Celtic defender’s effort was wild and high.
Sisay Bancha then produced a wonderful double save after a seemingly innocuous throw-in by Ahmed Musa reached Emmanuel Emenike in space inside the Ethiopia penalty area. His shot was stopped and Moses’ follow up was turned behind for a corner by the Ethiopia goalkeeper.
The game then turned in Nigeria’s favour as Musa received the ball on the Nigeria left and attempted a cross. Aynalem Hailu, the defender who conceded a last-minute penalty in Addis Ababa, jumped to block and was adjudged to have handled the ball.
Moses stepped up, and scored an almost identical penalty to Emenike’s first leg effort, passing the ball into the bottom right-hand corner and sending Bancha the wrong way.
It was Moses’ third penalty against Ethiopia in 2013, having scored two spot kicks against the Waliya Antelopes at this year’s CAF Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
Ogenyi Onazi then received the ball on the Nigeria right and whipped in a cross to the back post, but Ideye headed wide of the goal. The two combined again just before the interval, with Onazi’s shot from distance parried by Bancha, and Ideye hitting his follow-up over the bar.
Salahdin Ahmed found himself free of the Nigeria defence after the break, but the in-form Vincent Enyeama rushed off his line to smother the ball before an Ethiopian player could get his shot away.
Emenike then sprinted in behind the Ethiopian defence after a through ball by Onazi, but Bancha was quickly off his line to thwart the Fenerbahce frontman.
Ahmed was brought down by Chelsea’s Kenneth Omeruo on the edge of the box, and took the resulting free kick but it was wasted and Shemeles Bekele found himself offside after the ball was chipped back into the box.
The second half continued to move along at a relaxed pace, until Obinna’s late free kick. The Lokomotiv Moscow forward curled his right-footed effort past Bancha, who should really have done better with the set piece.
As the rain began to hammer down towards the end, the Ethiopians’ mood matched the miserable weather, but the hosts did not care. They danced jubilantly and joined the crowd in celebration on the final whistle as their thoughts turned to next summer’s carnival of football in Brazil.

Pin It