Glo Super 4: Warri Wolves Beaten Again

.Pillars Draw 1-1 With U-23 Eagles, As Enyimba Pip Dolphins 1-0 –

Nigeria’s representatives in this year’s CAF Confederation Cup, Warri Wolves on Wednesday lost their third Glo Super 4 match in a row by a lone goal to the Flying Eagles, making the Delta State club the whipping team of the competition just like Dolphins, who have also lost their three games so far.
Skipper Musa Mohammed scored the decisive goal for the Flying Eagles in the 47th minute to give the Coach Manu Garba-tutored side 9 maximum points from three matches.
Wolves, who lost 1-2 to Nigeria’s U-23 Eagles and 0-1 to Enyimba in their previous games, managed to hold the Flying Eagles to a barren draw throughout the first half of today’s encounter before their opponents broke the deadlock barely two minutes into the restart.
Both teams used the first 14 minutes to size each other up, with Warri Wolves taking an upper hand from the beginning.
After 15 minutes, Wolves were still dominating proceedings with striker Joseph Osadiaye attempting to break into the opponents rear. But, Ifeanyi Mattew of the Flying Eagles responded in good time to retrieve the ball from his leg.
In the 22nd minute, Kufre Ebong missed a golden chance to put Wolves ahead, he was a bit slow to tap in but got a corner kick which was wasted.
The Delta Emperors played better today, compared to their previous games except that the Flying Eagles refused to open their water-tight defence.
Big striker Suleiman Abdulahi of the Flying Eagles tried in vain to break into Wolves’ rear in the 28th minute, just as Wolves’ Osadiaye got an ankle knock while trying to pass through Flying Eagles’ area.
In the 34th minute, defenders Oke Ogagotewho and Semiu Liadi were kept busy in their own area as the Flying Eagles invaded their defence at will.
Four minutes after, Monday Osagie was the saving grace for Warri Wolves when he cleared a goal bound ball from the line, after the goalkeeper had been beaten with an aerial ball.
The pressure rose from the 40th minute as Flying Eagles Coach, Manu Garba substituted Suleiman Abdullahi and brought in Usman Sale.
About a minute to the break, Flying Eagles’ Roland Silas nodded what could have been the opening goal into the net but the whistle had gone for a foul. The score line remained goalless as at the end of first half.
On resumption of the second half, the national U-20 captain Mohammed scored a 47th minute goal which eventually won the match for the Flying Eagles.
Wolves technical crew made two quick substitutions in the 52nd minute as Ogagatewho was pulled out for Bright Akpojuvwewho, while Otorogu came in for Dimgba.
In the 60th minute, Flying Eagles’ Wasiu Jimoh shot wide, while
Okoyoh of Warri Wolves, who had the ball at tip of the box watched in disbelief as his shot was deflected into touch.
Jimoh later came out for Bernand Bulba to strengthen the Flying Eagles, but it was Adewale of Wolves who almost got an equaliser, as he dazzles into their opponents box only to shoot wide with just four minutes to full time.
Awoniyi also got a last minute chance to increase Flying Eagles’ tally but his low shot bounced off the post.
Meanwhile, the second match ended 1-1 between Kano Pillars and U-23 Eagles, while Enyimba defeated Dolphins 1-0 in the last match of the day.

Pin It