Following a huge explosion on Thursday at a butane gas depot in south-eastern Nigeria, which left “tens” of people dead, Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with families of the victims.
“My heart and prayers go out to these grieving families at this difficult and painful moment”, Buhari said in a statement.
The fire raged for more than five hours before being extinguished. Witnesses said the bodies of workers and customers at the depot in Nnewi in Anambra State had been burned beyond recognition.
Many customers had gone to the plant to fill up their gas bottles to cook meals on Christmas Day.
The dead and injured were taken to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital in Nnewi, which has a predominantly Christian community.
Staff inside the plant are reported to have been trapped. The fire burned beyond recognition all the workers who were inside that depot at that time and also all the customers inside that depot.