Abiodun Martins, University of Lagos, UNILAG Students’ Union President, has called on the management of the institution to be more proactive in catering for the welfare of the students.
Martins made the call when he led an in-house protest by students of the institution over the death of one of their colleagues, Oluchi Anekwe.
Anekwe, a 300 level student of Accounting, was said to have been electrocuted in the early hours of Wednesday on the campus.
It was gathered that Anekwe was electrocuted when a high tension cable near her hostel cut and dropped on her.
She was close to getting into her hostel at the Sodeinde Residence at New Hall, when the incident occurred.
The students alleged that on rushing Oluchi to the school clinic, staff on duty had demanded her identity card rather than attend to her.
According to Martins, such deaths would have been avoided if management had considered the welfare of students, especially those on campus, as a top priority.
He urged the management to avoid such sad occurrence from repeating itself by making the campus a safe place for the students,
All academic and social activities around the campus was brought to a halt by the aggrieved students as a mark of honour to the departed soul.
Vice-Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Rahamon Bello, pleaded with the students to remain calm as he shared in their grief.
He said that management had tried severally to draw the attention of the relevant electricity distribution company who was responsible of maintaining the infrastructure.